Army sergeant wants to plead guilty in Georgia base shootings that injured 5
Legal Outlook
An Army sergeant accused of shooting and wounding five co-workers at a southeast Georgia base last summer is seeking to plead guilty to attempted murder and other charges in a military court, Army prosecutors said Thursday.
Authorities say Sgt. Quornelius Radford, 28, used a personal handgun to open fire on members of his supply unit at Fort Stewart in August. Gunfire injured four soldiers and a civilian worker, who was Radford's romantic partner, before bystanders disarmed and restrained the sergeant, according to prosecutors.
A military judge scheduled Radford to stand trial by court-martial in June after Radford pleaded not guilty last fall to 13 criminal counts: six counts of attempted murder, six counts of aggravated assault and a count of domestic violence. Prosecutors say there were six total victims, including a person Radford shot at and missed.
Now Radford is seeking to plead guilty to a reduced set of charges, according to the Army's Office of Special Trial Counsel, which is prosecuting Radford.
It said in a news release Thursday that Radford's attorneys told a military judge last week that Radford wants to plead guilty to two counts of attempted murder, three counts of aggravated assault and one count of domestic violence.
Radford's lead defense attorney, Lt. Col. Dylan Mack, did not immediately respond to an email message seeking comment.
The Army's online court docket shows Radford's plea status was changed from "not guilty" to "guilty plea" ahead of his next scheduled court hearing March 31. That's when the judge plans to consider Radford's plea change, prosecutors said.
Army prosecutors said they haven't negotiated a plea deal with Radford, meaning he would still face a possible life prison sentence if a military judge accepts his guilty plea.
Authorities haven't offered a suspected motive for the shootings. Radford has been held in pretrial confinement since his arrest.
The largest Army post east of the Mississippi River, Fort Stewart is home to thousands of soldiers assigned to the 3rd Infantry Division. It is located about 40 miles (64 kilometers) southwest of Savannah.
Radford served as a supply sergeant in the division's 2nd Armored Brigade. Army records show he enlisted in 2018.
On Aug. 6, soldiers in Radford's unit followed the sound of gunfire into the hallways of an office building where they found hazy gun smoke in the air and wounded victims on the floor and in nearby offices.
Brig. Gen. John Lubas, the 3rd Infantry's commander, credited soldiers with saving lives by immediately rendering first aid, in some cases using their bare hands to stanch bleeding from gunshot wounds.
Army Secretary Dan Driscoll visited Fort Stewart the day after the shootings to award Meritorious Service Medals to six soldiers who helped restrain the gunman and treat the victims.
Related listings
-
Court agrees to hear from oil and gas companies trying to block climate change lawsuits
Legal Outlook 02/23/2026The Supreme Court said that it will hear from oil and gas companies trying to block lawsuits seeking to hold the industry liable for billions of dollars in damage linked to climate change.The conservative-majority court agreed to take up a case from ...
-
US announces massive arms sales to Taiwan worth more than $10 billion
Legal Outlook 12/19/2025President Donald Trump’s administration has announced a massive package of arms sales to Taiwan valued at more than $10 billion that includes medium-range missiles, howitzers and drones, drawing an angry response from China.The State Department...
-
Taxpayer group asks high court to stop loan forgiveness plan
Legal Outlook 10/23/2022A Wisconsin taxpayers group that unsuccessfully brought a lawsuit seeking to block President Joe Biden’s student loan forgiveness program is asking the U.S. Supreme Court to intervene.The Brown County Taxpayers Association on Wednesday asked th...
New Rochelle, New York Work Accidents Lawyers
It doesn’t matter what type of work you do or where you work, you can always be at risk of injuring yourself at your work no matter how safe you may think it is. Accidents in the workplace are often caused by unsafe work conditions arising from ignoring safety rules, overlooking maintenance or other negligence of those in management. Work accidents can cause serious injuries and sometimes permanent damage. Some extremely serious work injuries can permanently hinder a person’s ability to get around and continue their daily duties.
Factors that affect one’s quality of life like place of work, relationships with friends and family, social standing can all be taken away quickly by a work injury. Although, you may not be able to recover all of your losses, you may be entitled to compensation as a result of your work injury. In order to ensure that you and your loved ones receive the best outcome, make sure you have the help of an experienced New Rochelle, New York workplace injury lawyer you deserve. We can get you on your way to filing a claim against the responsible party. If you have been injured at your place of work it is important to know your options by seeking legal action. Kommer Bave & Ollman LLP offers a free case evaluation where we will answer any questions you may have and explain your legal options. Call us at 914-633-7400 or contact our firm to schedule a free consultation with an experienced attorney.
